With summer rapidly approaching and children getting out of school, it is important for everyone to know what poison ivy is. it is in the same class as poison oak and poison sumac. these are plants that exist all over the United States. these plants can cause a temporary itching rash.
It does this mainly by contact with a person’s skin. it is known, though, that even if these poison ivy plants are burned, the smoke from them can actually cause a sensitivity. Even if clothing comes in contact with these plants, the oils from the plant can remain in the clothing and anyone that touches the clothing that has the oil on it will be subject to an itchy rash. the oils that are deposited in clothing from poison ivy, sumac or poison oak can remain in the clothing for years, in fact, until the clothing is washed.
It is important for anyone that is going to be in the woods to find out exactly what poison ivy looks like. You should look up poison ivy in books or online to really know what the plant looks like. there is an old saying that if a person sees a plant with three leaflets, they should leave it be. it is known that poison ivy is a three leaflet plant. it has no thorns. Poison ivy can grow close to the ground or they can grow like a vine. the leaf is waxy in some cases and dull in other cases. A poison ivy plant can flower so don’t be deceived by a flowering poison ivy plant. If the poison ivy is a vine, the branches are hairy in appearance.
Contact even with the branch can cause a poison ivy rash. the rash caused by poison ivy usually appears as a red, itchy area that shows up in lines or streaks. This rash typically has fluid filled bumps that appear like blisters. In some cases, the red, raised area looks more like hives.
If a person believes that they have come in contact with a poison ivy plant, they should immediately, profusely wash their skin with soap and water.
Once the rash has appeared, then taking an antihistamine medication such as Claritin can help with the itch. the rash can be helped with using a cortisone, over-the-counter cream.
Many times that is all that is needed. on other occasions though, the person exposed will need to see their family doctor.
<a href="http://www.newschief.com/article/20110703/NEWS/107035032/-1/news02?Title=Look-out-for-poison-ivytag:news.google.com,2005:cluster=http://www.newschief.com/article/20110703/NEWS/107035032/-1/news02?Title=Look-out-for-poison-ivySun, 03 Jul 2011 12:31:59 GMT 00:00″>Look out for poison ivy