Why do hives occur?
Hives occur because of our body’s response to a foreign substance like food and medication or may be caused by the body’s reaction to stress and extremes of temperature. thus, hives or urticaria is an allergic reaction and it may or may not be accompanied by difficulty of breathing, sore throat, swelling of the airway passages and shock.
Hives are seen as raised patches of skin that may look pinkish or reddish in color. These patches of skin are very itchy and may be seen in many places of the body like the abdomen, the arms, legs and even on the face. Natural treatment for hives may be used to reduce the appearance of hives symptoms since there is no known cure for this skin condition.
What causes hives?
There are many causes of hives and most are also called triggers for hives that must be totally avoided at all cost. The most common cause is the ingestion of food which one is allergic to. Medications may also cause hives like antibiotics, aspirin and ibuprofen. Exposure to severe cold and heat may also cause the body to exhibit hives. Insect stings may also cause formation of hives which may be both itchy and painful at the same time.
Stress is also considered a cause of hives. Natural treatment for hives often focuses on stress reducing techniques to deal with symptoms of hives.
There are numerous natural treatments for hives and most are effective and easy to use. The best thing about using natural treatments for hives is that it may not cause much at all to use; most items or ingredients are available in your kitchen.
- One of the most common natural treatments for hives is using cold compresses. cold reduces inflammation and can be effective in reducing itching, redness and swelling common in hives. You may use a cold towel or a cold compress on the affected site. This may be done as often as you want.
- Cornstarch powder which is commonly used in cooking is also an effective natural treatment for hives. Just apply cornstarch on hives to reduce itching and stinging sensation. A cornstarch soak may also be done by using a half a tub full of lukewarm water and about a ½ cup full of cornstarch. Soak in this solution for about 15 to 30 minutes and you will have reduced itching and inflammation in no time at all.
- Using a teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of grapefruit seed extract can also help reduce the symptoms of hives. This natural treatment for hives may be used two to three times a day as a topical relief for hives and itching.
- Aloe vera is another treatment for hives that is not just effective in reducing hive symptoms but also great in moisturizing skin as well. Just apply aloe juice or extracts on hives; this may be done twice or thrice a day to reduce hives symptoms.
- Stress reduction is another natural treatment for hives that must not be forgotten. Stress is a common factor in the recurrence of hives and thus be managed by natural methods. Stress reduction methods like meditation, aromatherapy, biofeedback, relaxation techniques and yoga may be done in order to manage hives symptoms
- Avoiding extreme temperatures is also important in treating hives. Although direct cold compress may help reduce the symptoms of hives, a drastic reduction in temperature or a sudden increase in temperature may induce the appearance of hives.
Are natural treatments for hives safe?
Natural treatments for hives are safe to use. There are no adverse effects with any medication you are taking for your hives nor there are side effects to worry about since these hives treatments are just applied topically on the skin.
There are natural treatments and herbal remedies that may be tempting to use for your hives. it is best however to consult a dermatologist before use. Learn all you can about any herbal preparation or supplements before starting treatment. Read product reviews or consumer reports before you try them out. your doctor knows what is best to use as a natural treatment for hives so personal consult is very important.