Oxyhives ReviewOxyhives Resources

Necedah boy saves mother’s life in an emergency


 Necedah boy saves mother’s life in an emergency

Heroes step in to help in many crisis situations. One of theyoungest heroes in Juneau County comes in the form of a 7-year-oldboy who saved a life simply by doing what his parents told him todo.

Maxwell Rattunde called 911 and helped his mother breathe aftershe was stung by bees and had a life-threatening allergic reactionOct. 5.

Tuesday, during an interview with a Star-Times reporter andJenna Troum of La Crosse television station WKBT, Max’s mother,Angela Rattunde of Necedah, said, “I’m one of those people whoshould live in a bubble. I am allergic to nuts, peanut butter,kiwi, oranges, medicines and bees.

“I must be cautious of my surroundings and I even break out from[smelling] lotions that others are wearing.” she said she is alwaysprepared to give herself an EpiPen injection. the medicine reversesthe effects of the allergic reaction.

She said, “We had 80 degrees [temperature] that day, and I hadput the blankets on the deck … I picked up the pile and got stungtwice before going inside the house.

“I said, ‘Max, you need to call 911.’ I gave the first shot inmy arm. I remember Max saying his dad’s name after calling thenumber and that he is a state trooper and was at work.

“I had hives come up my arms and face and my tongue gottingly.’” she said she was unable to give herself another injectionand was lying on the floor. Max held her in a sitting position tokeep her airway open.

“I ran to the phone and dialed the number,” the second grader atNecedah Elementary School said. he said they asked what happened,who his dad is and where he lives.

“[Then] I just went to mom and holded her up,” Max said. “My momtold me what to do, and I did what she said.”

Then he asked his brother Sam, 5, to go outside and take hissister Lydia, 3, along. “But they wouldn’t go, and I didn’t wantthem to be inside by mom,” Max said. Angela added, “You drool andcan’t swallow. They are too young, and do not know what an allergyis.” she said Max wanted them outside so they wouldn’t see theirmom that way.

Max’s father Ryan works full-time as a state trooper and is anemergency medical technician in Necedah. he credits Max’s quickthinking to previous training about emergencies. Ryan said, “Abouta year-and-a-half ago, me, my dad, Jim Rattunde, and other EMTscame to school during EMS [Emergency Management System] Week. Weshowed students the equipment and what could happen with people.”He said they taught them the importance of being able to call 911for help. “We didn’t realize that we’d need it in my family, and itwould save my wife’s life,” Ryan said.

“I heard the page and I called my dad.”

He said his dad and Jeramie [Hamel, a first responder in thetown of Armenia] came to the house, which is about amile-and-a-half from town, before the ambulance arrived. Ryanstressed the importance of alerting family and neighbors aboutthings such as allergies or other medical conditions.

Angela said, “I don’t know what would have happened if Maxwasn’t there. Sam wouldn’t have known how to dial 911. he could’vegone to the neighbors, but it would have been too late.” she saidMax is her hero.

She said children need to know how to call 911 and parentsshould place pictures of each person on the phone dial list so theycan recognize and contact someone in an emergency. They also needto know at least which street they live on and their parents’names.

In offering advice to other youth, Max said, “Do what your momtells you to do.”

Necedah boy saves mother’s life in an emergency

Recommended Reading