August 11, 2011
• Festivals• Fundraisers• Hikes / Walks• Nature• Art and Exhibits• Meals• Talks• Sales• Kid Stuff• Etc.• On Stage• Auditions• Coming UpFestivals
· Fourth Annual “La Tavola Italian Feast Under the Stars,” 5-8:30 p.m. Friday, South Cape Village, Mashpee. Presented by Mashpee Chamber of Commerce. Festive Italian evening of food, wine and song by opera singer Aaron Caruso. $45, includes glass of wine or beer with meal. Proceeds benefit scholarship fund and other Chamber initiatives. 508-477-0792.
· Family carnival, 6-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, John Simpkins Field, Route 28, South Yarmouth. Rides, games, food. all ages. Sponsored by St. David’s Episcopal Church, South Yarmouth.
· good Ole Summertime Fair, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, First Congregational Church, routes 124 and 39, Harwich Center. 508-432-1053.
· Hyannis Elks Second Annual Golf Tournament, Saturday, Paul Harney Golf course, Falmouth. Benefits Heroes in Transition. Sign-in 7 a.m. Shotgun start 8 a.m. Dinner follows at Hyannis Elks Lodge, 852 Bearse’s way. $100, includes cart and dinner. Hole sponsorships $100 per hole. Cash prizes. 774-238-6266.
· Dog Days Weekend, Hyannis Country Garden, 380 W. Main St. Saturday: Dog wash, noon-2 p.m., $5 donation to MSPCA. Meet dogs available for adoption from MSPCA, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday: Learn how to make dog treats, 11:30 a.m. Blessing of the Dogs, 12:30 p.m. Dog parade, 1 p.m. (assemble by 12:45 p.m. in front parking lot. all Weekend: Bring in a photo of your dog to enter contest to win a doggie drinking fountain. Free hot dogs. 508-775-8703. FREE!+
· Dog Wash to Benefit The Sampson Fund for Veterinary Care, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Pleasant Bay Animal Hospital, Route 137 and Queen Anne Road, East Harwich. 508-432-5500.
· 21st Annual Falmouth Walk, 3.2 miles, 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Town Hall Square, Falmouth. followed by picnic, raffle and auction. Benefits local Falmouth charities including Falmouth Military Support Group. $20. Registration 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday and 9-9:45 a.m. morning of walk at Quarterdeck Restaurant, 164 Main St., Falmouth. www.falmouthwalk.org.
· Spirit of America Tornado Victims Open Mic Event, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Pufferbellies, Iyannough Road, Hyannis. Open mic for musicians, poets, more. all proceeds go to American Red Cross for its disaster relief efforts. Cash bar. $15 general admission, $10 open mic performers and seniors 65 and older with ID. Call or email to sign up. firstname.lastname@example.org; 774-696-1621.
· Falmouth’s Little Miracles, 5-10 p.m. Saturday, Falmouth Navigator, 55 Ashumet Road. Evening of music, food and raffles to help two local families with expenses related to their premature babies. Cash bar. $10. email@example.com; 508-563-7396.
· Wellfleet Alzheimer’s Association 10th Annual Reception and Charity Auction, Sunday, Sweet Seasons at Inn at Duck Creeke, 70 Main St., Wellfleet. Wine and elegant nibbles. Silent auction 3-5 p.m. Live auction 5-7 p.m. all 100% of proceeds to benefit families on lower Cape impacted by Alzheimer’s disease. $10. 508-737-3228.
· Golf Balls from Heaven, 4-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Harwich Port Golf Club, 51 South St. Sponsored by Pilgrim Congregational Church, Harwich Port. each ticket holder receives a number that corresponds to a number on one of 1,000 golf balls. at 5:30 p.m. golf balls will be dropped from 50 feet onto a green. $1,000 prize for ball that lands in hole or comes closest to pin. $250 for next closest. $100 for next five balls closest to pin. “Pre-Drop” party begins 4 p.m. other activities include free face painting, balloons, clown and live music. Winners need not be present to win. all proceeds benefit Peter Hughes Sr. Scholarship Fund and local charities. $10 per ball or three for $25. Tickets available at Pilgrim Congregational Church office and at Wednesday Harwich Stroll up until 5:30 p.m. 508-432-1668.
· Habitat for Humanity of Cape Cod “You’ve Got Mail” Fundraiser and Silent Auction, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Cultural Center of Cape Cod, 307 old Main St., South Yarmouth. $40, $75 per couple. RSVP by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 508-362-3559.
· Hands-on Marine Discovery Cruises with OceanQuest, 100 Water St., Woods Hole. Trips: 10:30 a.m., 12:30 and 2:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 12:30 p.m. Saturdays. $25, $24 seniors, $20 ages 4-12, $8 ages 3 and under, free for infants. 508-385-7656.
· Swan Lake Cemetery walking tour, 11 a.m. Friday, Depot Street, Dennisoort. Led by Terri Fox. Raine date: 2 p.m. Sunday. $3. 508-760-0433.
· Guided brewery tour, 1 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Tuesday, Cape Cod Beer, 1336 Phinney’s Lane, Hyannis. Tour Cape Cod’s only microbrewery and learn how beer is made. One hour. all ages welcome. Must be 21 to sample beer. 508-790-4200. FREE!
· On the Trail of Charles D. Cahoon: Harwich’s Famed Artist, 2 p.m. Saturday, starts at Brooks Academy Museum, 80 Parallel St. Meet the “real” Charles D. Cahoon, Cape Cod’s first master painter, on dramatic walking tour of historic Harwich Center, presented by Harwich Junior Theatre. Includes museum admission. $4. 508-432-8089.
· Walk Through Bourne History, 7 p.m. Saturday, Aptucxet Trading Post Museum, 24 Aptucxet Road, Bourne. One-mile interpreter-led stroll through historic sites of Bourne, including Cape Cod Canal, Jonathan Bourne Historic Center, Briggs McDermott House and Aptucxet Trading Post. $5, $2 children. 508-759-9487.
· Walking tour of Main Street, Centerville, 10 and 11:30 a.m. Saturday, meet at Centerville Historical Museum, 513 Main St. Join Ralph Tolbert, architect and preservationist, in a leisurely stroll through the area as he talks about some of the enterprising people and families who built on Main Street and the rich architectural legacy they left. Easy walk with frequent stops on flat terrain, about one-half mile in total. $4. 508 775-0331.
· Exploring First Congregational Church Cemetery, 2 p.m. Sunday, First Congregational Church parish house, 697 Main St., Harwich Center. The restoration of gravestones in one of Harwich’s oldest burying grounds will be presented in this talk by cemetery administrator Robbin Kelley, followed by tour. $4. 508 432-8089.
· Nauset Light tour, 4:30-7:30 p.m. Sunday and Wednesday, Nauset Light Beach, Eastham. Sponsor: Nauset Light Preservation Society. Donations accepted. 508-240-2612.
· three Sisters Lighthouses tour, 5-6 p.m. Sunday, meet at northeast corner of Nauset Light Beach parking area, Eastham. Beach fees may apply. 508-255-3421.
· Working Waterfront Tour, 10 a.m. Monday, Cape Cod Canal Visitor Center, 60 Ed Moffitt Drive, Sandwich. Walking tour with canal park ranger; explore recreational and commercial activities along canal’s waterfront around Sandwich Marina. 508-833-9678. FREE!
· Waquoit Bay Estate tour, 10:30 a.m. Monday, Waquoit Bay Reserve, 149 Waquoit Highway, East Falmouth. Meet at visitor center. Discover history of estate overlooking Waquoit Bay while touring buildings and grounds of Reserve. 508-457-0495, ext 125. FREE!
· Walking tour of Sandwich Village, 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, meet at Sandwich Glass Museum 129 Main St. Rain cancels. www.sandwichglassmuseum.org. FREE!
· Twilight canoe trip, 5-7:30p.m. Wednesday, Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, 291 State Highway Route 6, South Wellfleet. Paddle with a Mass Audubon naturalist on a chain of interconnected freshwater ponds in Wellfleet as the sun descends and twilight settles in. all equipment provided. Previous paddling experience required. Children ages 12-17 welcome with adult. $30-$35 per person. Preregister: 508-349-2615.
· “my Favorite things,” paintings by Liz Hardy, through Thursday, Eastwind Gallery, 34 Main St., Orleans. Meet the artist, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday. 508-240-2133. FREE!
· “Art on the Village Green,” through Aug. 19, Main Street, Hyannis. Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Presented by Cape Cod Art Association. 508-362-2909.
· “Solace and Inspiration,” by Brenda L. Bechtel, through Oct. 3, Mayflower Place Retirement Community, 579 Buck Island Road, West Yarmouth. Reception 6-8 p.m. Friday. 508-790-0200.
· “Streets of Southeast Asia,” photography by Ron Snider, opens Friday, Orleans Camera, 9 West Road. 508-240-1300.
· “Fish for the Arts,” Cultural Center of Cape Cod, 307 old Main St., South Yarmouth. Exhibit of 25 34-inch fiberglass striped bass, turned into works of art by 25 Cape artists. Reception and auction, 7 p.m. Sunday. 508-394-7100. FREE!
· Guild of Chatham Painters exhibit and sale, 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Friday and Thursday, First Congregational Church, 560 Main St., Chatham. www.guildofchathampainters.org.
· Hyannis Harbor Artist Shanties, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, Bismore Park, Ocean Street, Hyannis. 508-862-4990.
· Open house featuring oils by Todd Bonita, noon-5 p.m. Friday, 39 Thad Ellis Road (off Route 6A), Brewster. Boat paintings. On view through Monday. 508 896-5557.
· Reception for works by Milton Wright, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Friday, Truro Fine Art Studio, 3 Depot Road. Landscapes of Truro, Provincetown and Wellfeet in oil, gouache and watercolor. 508-349-2303.
· Reception, 5-7 p.m. Friday, Cultural Center of Cape Cod, 307 old Main St., South Yarmouth. Patricia Walker, woven art, in Board Room, through Sunday. Marlene Bell, paintings, in Vault, through Aug. 21. Susan Stranz and Nancy Minnigerode, watercolors, in Blue Room, through Aug. 21. 508-394-7100. FREE!
· Reception for works by Helen Homer and Patrick Webb, 7:30-10 p.m. Friday, Julie Heller East, 465 Commercial St., Provincetown.
· old Village Gallery, 554 Route 28, Harwich Port. Open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. Six artists. 508-432-2372.
· recent paintings and collages by Pia Mackenzie, Saturday through Aug. 26, OMA Gallery, Route 6A, Orleans. Also works by Eve Aspinwell. Reception 5-7 p.m. Saturday.
· Meet the Artists Doris Mee & Kathy ElKamouny, 4-6 p.m. Saturday, The Art Gallery of the Guild of Harwich Artists, 551 Main St., (Route 28) Harwich Port. Reception and demonstration. 508-769-6759.
· “Painting with Flowers” by Deborah McCauleyBuck, reception 5 p.m. Saturday, Rowley Gallery, 84 Route 6A, Orleans. Floral arrangements designed to look like painting that was the inspiration. Raffle for arrangements follows reception. $5 tickets. 508-255-3690.
· “Summer Time” by Lila Seveda, reception 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Saltworks Fine Art, 39 Main St., Orleans. 508-240-1450.
· “The Sea and Sky,” reception 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Gallery 31 Fine Art, 34 Main St. Square, Route 6A Orleans. 508-247-9469.
· “Sturgeon Moon” Lunar Art show, reception 6-8 p.m. Saturday, Woodruff’s Art Center, One North Market St., Masphee Commons. 508-477-5767.
· Woodturners sale and show, Saturday through Aug. 20, Brewster Ladies’ Library, 1822 Main St. (Route 6A). 508-896-3913.
· “Suzanne Packer: my Art: my Love,” reception 7 p.m. Saturday, Cape Cod Chat House, 593 Route 6A, Dennis. 508 694-7187.
· Yarmouth Art Guild outdoor show and sale, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, grounds of Cape Cod Cooperative Bank and Bank of America, Route 6A Yarmouthport.
· “Actual Size,” by gallery artists, Sunday through Aug. 27, The Granary Gallery, 636 old County Road, West Tisbury. Reception 5-7 Sunday.
· Art in the Park, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, Doane Park, Post Office Square and Route 28, Harwich Port. Rain date: Wednesday.
· Brewster Monday Painters show and sale, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, front lawn of Brewster Council on Aging, Route 6A. Weather permitting.
· Falmouth Art Market, 2 p.m. until dusk Tuesday, green in front of Falmouth Town Hall.
· Oil and watercolors by Joline Diehl, Wednesday through Aug. 28, old Selectmen’s Building, Route 149, West Barnstable.
· “Local Art on Main,” 6-9 p.m. Wednesday, five Eighty Six Bistro, 586 Main St., Hyannis. Local artists, live acoustic entertainment, wine tasting, dinner specials.
· Works by Bruce Ackerson, Suzanne Howes Stevens and Christine Triebert, Thursday through Sept. 1, Rice/Polak Gallery, 430 Commercial St., Provincetown. Reception 7 p.m. Aug. 19. 508-487-1052.
· “B. Shirley Carter Retrospective,” Thursday through Labor Day, Great Room Gallery, common at Strawberry Lane, 266 Route 6A, Yarmouthport. Presented by Yarmouth New Church Preservation Foundation. Reception 5:30-8 p.m. Thursday. 508-375-0545.
· Lobster luncheon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, The Federated Church of Hyannis, 320 Main St. Also lawn sale and piano player. Eat in or take out. $13 lobster, $5-$8 sandwiches. 508-775-0298.
· Lobster roll luncheon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Matakese Chapter No. 158, OES Howard Lodge, 20 Davis Road, South Yarmouth. $10, $7 chicken roll, $3 PB&J. Call after 8 a.m. to reserve lunch. 508-398-9030.
· Lobster roll luncheon, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, Christ Church Episcopal, 671 Main St., Harwich Port. $14, free PB&J for kids. Pie slices for dessert sold separately. 508-432-1787.
· Friday Night Grill, 5-7:30 p.m. Friday, St. Christopher’s Church, 625 Main St., Chatham. Before Chatham Town Band concert.
· Lobster roll supper, 4:30-7 p.m. Friday, First United Methodist Church, Main and Cross streets, Chatham. Eat in or take out. $15. Call 508-945-0474 to order ahead.
· Fish fry, 6-8 p.m. Friday, Dudley L. Brown VFW Post 2846, 5 Gibbs Ball Park Road, Onset. all you can eat. Music 5-9 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door, $10 children. 774-678-0479.
· Fish fry, 6 p.m. Friday, Wareham Lodge of Elks, 2855 Cranberry Highway, East Wareham. Tickets sales begin 5 p.m. 508-295-6000.
· Pancake breakfast, 7:30-10 a.m. Saturday, Pilgrim Congregational Church, 533 Route 28, Harwich Port. $6, $3 children under 12. 508-432-1668.
· Pancake breakfast, 8-11 a.m. Saturday, Fraternal Lodge, 1989 Falmouth Road (Route 28), Centerville. $6, $3 ages 12 and under.
· Pancake breakfast, 8-11 a.m. Saturday, Chatham VFW, George Ryder Road. $8, $5 children, free under age 6. Sponsored by The Brewster RTC.
· Lobster and scallop roll dinner, 5-7:30 p.m. Saturday and Thursday, Nauset Light Lodge, 52 old Harbor Road (Route 28), Chatham. $2 for hot dog up to $16 for lobster roll and chowder combination.
· Lobster roll and clam chowder dinner, 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Cape Cod Covenant Church, 11 Satucket Road, Brewster. $18. Special children’s dinner, includes hot dog, chips, brownie, watermelon and drink, $5. 508-385-2223.
· Breakfast, 8-11 a.m. Sunday, Buzzards Bay Eagles Hall, 39 Cohasset Ave. all you can eat. $7. 508-759-9974.
· Lobster luncheon, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Harwich United Methodist Church, 1 Church St. (Queen Anne Road and Route 137). Takeout available. $12.95. 508-432-3734.
· Community supper, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Christian Union Church, 27 Shore Road, North Truro. Hot dogs, linguica, beans, brown bread, salad, desert. Eat in or take out. $10, $6 children.
· Lobster roll luncheon, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, West Yarmouth Congregational Church, 383 Main St. $13 lobster roll, $4 hot dog. 508-775-0891.
· Chicken barbecue dinner, 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Orleans United Methodist Church, Main Street and Route 28. Tickets at door. take out available. $12, $8 children. 508-255-0622.
· Thursday Night Chowder Supper, 5:30-7 p.m. Thursday, Eastham United Methodist Church, 3200 Route 6. Takeout available.
· Hear Cape Cod – “An Aural Map of Cape Cod,” 11 a.m. Friday, Brewster Ladies’ Library, 1822 Main St. Aural sound clips of various places on Cape Cod recorded over one year. 508-896-3913.
· Marine Biological Laboratory Lecture: “Genetic Insight Into Candida Infection Biology,” by Dr. Aaron Mitchell, Carnegie Mellon University, 8 p.m. Friday, Lillie Auditorium, 7 MBL St., Woods Hole. part of MBL Friday Evening Lecture Series. FREE!
· “Ancestor stories,” by Jim Cardoza, Margaret Cooper, Gardner Edgarton and Bob Rice,10 a.m. Saturday, AHermann Foundation Meeting Room, Falmouth Public Library, 300 Main St. part of Falmouth Genealogical Society meeting. 508-548-3408 or 508-457-4126.
· “a Jewish Life in American Theater,” by Robert Brustein, director, writer and critic, 7 p.m. Sunday, Willowbend Country Club, 130 Willowbend Drive, Mashpee. $20. 617-531-4610.
· “from Heroes to Zeros: The War Against Public Employees,” 8 p.m. Monday, Wellfleet Public Library, 55 W. Main St. Presented by Elaine Bernard, executive director of Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School. 508-349-0310. FREE!
· Gallery talk with Jim and Susan Jenkins, 11 a.m. Tuesday, Cahoon Museum of American Art, 4676 Falmouth Road (Route 28), Cotuit. Talk about living on a bog and their collection of works in exhibition “So What’s in a Bog?” on view through Sept. 18. Admission: $6, $5 seniors, $4 students, free under age 12. 508-428-7581.
· “The Baxendale Legacy and a Camp at Cataumet,” by George Seaver and Bob Taft, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Cataumet Schoolhouse, 1200 County Road. part of Tues. Talk Series. Two researchers give their perspectives on the hidden story of “Safe from Snares” in Cataumet and Animal Rescue League’s camp. 774-269-3165. FREE!
· “a Perspective On 10 Years of War in Afghanistan,” 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wellfleet Public Library, 55 W. Main St. Presented by Trudy Rubin, foreign affairs columnist for Philadelphia Inquirer. Sponsored by Friends of the Wellfleet Library. 508-349-0310. FREE!
· Science in the Seashore Research Conference, 1-4 p.m. Wednesday, Atlantic Research Center classroom at Highlands Center, Cape Cod National Seashore, North Truro. 508-487-3262 ext. 0510. FREE!
· Cotuit Chronicles: “Cranberries and Painters,” 7 p.m. Wednesday, Cotuit Library, 871 Main St. Learn about two families that dominated cranberry business in Cotuit and Mashpee and how they started painting figure heads for Cotuit built schooners. $3. 508-428-0461.
· Bayside Talks: Ocean Odysseys, featuring “Leatherback Sea Turtles,” by Connie Merigo, New England Aquarium director of rescue and rehabilitation, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, 291 State Highway (Route 6), South Wellfleet. $5-7, $3-$5 ages 11-17. 508-349-2615.
· Wild Cape Cod Lecture Series: “Chasing Dragons And Damsels: An Introduction to Odonates,” 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Mass Audubon’s Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary (Visitor Center), Bone Hill Road, Cummaquid. Join Mass Audubon scientist Robert Buchsbaum as he explores their biology, ecology and diversity. $8, $6 children. 508-362-7475, ext. 9355.
· Marine Lecture Series: “Seals, making a Comeback,” 11 a.m. Thursday, Cape Cod National Seashore, Province Lands Visitor Center, Race Point Road, Provincetown. Presented by director of marine education, Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies. 508-487-1256. FREE!
· Rummage sale, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and noon-2 p.m. Saturday, West Parish of Barnstable, 2049 Meetinghouse Road, Route 149, West Barnstable. $1 per bag, Saturday. 508-362-4445.
· MBL Summer Artisan Fair, 10 a.m. Friday, Waterfront Park, Water Street, Woods Hole. 508-289-7423.
· Chatham Summer Days Arts & Crafts show, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Chatham Community Center, 702 Main St. Over 30 arts and crafts booths. 774-212-1431. FREE!
· Craft fair, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Mashpee Library, 100 Nathan Ellis Highway.
· Book sale, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Whelden Memorial Library, Route 149, West Barnstable. 508-362-2262.
· Sixth annual Centerville Museum Yard Sale, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Centerville Historical Museum, 513 Main St. 508-775-0331.
· Book and video sale, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, Wellfleet Town Hall, Main Street. Sponsored by The Friends of the Wellfleet Library. Rain date: Aug. 14. 508-349-0310.
· 35th Annual Brooks Park August Arts and Crafts Festival, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Brooks Park, Main Street, Harwich Center. Proceeds benefit Harwich Cranberry Festival’s high school scholarship program.
· Annual Antique show & Sale, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Eastham Windmill Green, Route 6. Beverages and bake sale table. 508-255-0773.
· Friends of the Eastham Library book sale, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Eastham Public Library, 190 Samoset Road.
· Lobster roll luncheon/bake and book sale, 10 a.m. Saturday, The Friday Club, 365 Main St. (Route 6A).
· Phinney’s Lane Flea Market, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, 1336 Phinney’s Lane, Hyannis, next to Cape Cod Beer. 774-238-9546.
· Osterville Farmers Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Osterville Museum grounds, 155 West Bay Road. 508-428-5861.
· Nantucket Farmers Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Monday through Thursday, downtown, Main and Federal streets.
· Buzzards Bay Farmers Market, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, near Chamber of Commerce, 70 Main St.
· Orleans Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, 21 old Colony way.
· Nantucket Farmers and Artisans Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, downtown by St. Mary’s Church, Cambridge Street at North Union Street.
· West Tisbury Farmers Market, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday and Wednesday, Grange Hall, 1067 State Road, West Tisbury.
· Sandwich/Oakcrest Cove Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday and Wednesday, Oakcrest Cove, 34 Quaker Meeting House Road.
· Provincetown Farmers Market, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, across from town hall, Commercial Street at Ryder Street.
· Sandwich/Village Green Farmers Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, village green, Route 6A.
· Vineyard Haven Farmers Market, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, Tisbury Wharf, Beach Road at Beach Street.
· Chatham Farmers Market, 3-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, parking lot of Thyme After Thyme and Christmas Joy, across from The Box Office Cafe, Route 28 and Morton Road, South Chatham. 508-247-7268.
· Wellfleet Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon Wednesday, Wellfleet Preservation Hall 335 Main St.
· Mid Cape Farmers Market, 2-6 p.m. Wednesday, parking lot at Hyannis Youth & Community Center, 141 Bassett Lane, Hyannis.
· Bass River Farm Market and Al Fresco Artists, 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, Cultural Center of Cape Cod, 307 old Main St., South Yarmouth. 508-394-7100.
· Falmouth Farmers Market, noon-6 p.m. Thursday, Peg Noonam Park, 300 Main St.
· Harwich Farmers Market, 3-6 p.m. Thursday, Brooks Academy Museum, 80 Parallel St. Museum exhibits open. 508-432-8089.
· Cape Cod Disc Golf Club kids camp, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Burgess Park, Route 149, Marstons Mills. Putting, approach and driving lessons, 9-10 a.m. Mini nine-hole tournament with prizes, 10 a.m.-noon. Lunch and prizes provided by club, noon-1 p.m. Swimming (no lifeguard on duty, waivers required), 1-2 p.m. $5 suggested but not required. RSVP: email@example.com.
· Family Nature Programs, 1-2 p.m. Friday and Monday through Thursday, Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, 869 Main St. (Route 6A), Brewster. Free with museum admission. 508-896-3867.
· Heritage Museums & Gardens Summer Family Fun Friday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, Heritage Museums & Gardens, 67 Grove St., Sandwich. Acoustic music concert by Ben Rudnick and Friends, followed by hands-on crafts projects, treasure hunts, temporary tattoos and historic games. $15, $12 seniors, $7 ages 4-16, free age 3 and under. 508-888-3300.
· Kids Pajama Ice Cream Party, 5-7 p.m. Friday, Polar Cave Ice Cream Parlour, 22 Falmouth Road (Route 28), Mashpee-Cotuit line. Bring the kids down in their “jammies” along with a stuffed animal (special surprise if a polar bear) and they get free Bear Cub ice cream. 508-477-5553.
· Sixth Annual Teen Talent show, 7 p.m. Friday, Northside United Methodist Church, 701 Airline Road, Brewster-Dennis line. Local teen bands, vocalists, dancers and musicians. Prizes. Refreshments. Free-will offering to benefit Children of Haiti Project. 508-362-8912.
· Rock Night, 7-9 p.m. Friday, Hyannis Youth & Community Center, 141 Bassett Lane, Hyannis. Kids in grades 3-7 skate to beat of popular music. $5 admission, $5 skate rental. 508-790-6345.
· Ballet and Books, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Snow Library, Main Street, Orleans. Author David Ira Rottenberg reads his picture book “Gwendolyn, the Graceful Pig,” while ballerinas from Cape Cod Ballet Theatre perform the story. 508-240-3760. FREE!
· Tea Party in Wonderland, 2-4 p.m. Saturday, meadow at Kelley Chapel, behind Yarmouth Port Post Office, Route 6A. for girls and boys ages 4 and up. Refreshments games, prizes. Fancy dress suggested. $20. Seating limited. Reservations: 508-362-3021.
· Summer of Science: It IS Rocket Science, Monday through Aug. 19, Cape Cod Community College, 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable. Week-long adventure of space science and technology. for students entering grades 6-8. Design, develop, build, test and refine rockets as you explore concepts in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. $175 half day sessions, $200 full day. Preregister: firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-375-5011.
· story time, 10:30 a.m. Monday, Provincetown Library, 356 Commercial St. story time for children and their caregivers.
· Canal Kids, 10 a.m. Tuesday, Cape Cod Canal Visitor Center, 60 Ed Moffitt Drive, Sandwich. Educational program designed for ages 6-10. Explore different aspects of the canal each week with hands-on activities. Call for topic. 508-833-9678. FREE!
· “Here, There & Everywhere” story hour, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, South Dennis Free Public Library, 389 Main St. Ages 4-9 suggested. 508-394-8954. FREE!
· Fishy Fantasticness! 2-3 p.m. Tuesday, Hyannis Public Library, 401 Main St. Read fishy books, do a fish craft, touch, smell and poke a real stinky fish. all ages. part of Barnstable Libraries’ Collaborative Summer Reading Program. Registration encouraged. 508-775-2280. FREE!
· Free Summer Family make & take Crafts, 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, a.C. Moore Arts & Crafts, Southwind Plaza, 65 Independence Drive, off Route 132, Hyannis.
· Family Night – Bob Kanegis & Liz Mangual, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Provincetown Library, 356 Commercial St. stories incorporating a range of cultures and countries. FREE!
· Photo Scavenger Hunt, 9 a.m. Thursday, meet at Aselton Park sign, Ocean and South streets, Hyannis. Offered by Photography Center of Cape Cod. Bring camera, or even a cell phone. $10. Preregister. 508-362-2909.
· 4-H Coastal Explorer, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Brewster Ladie’s Library parking lot, 1822 Main St. (Route 6A). Marine science exhibit with displays, activities, aquariums. 508-896-3913.
· Scavenger Hunt: The amazing Race – Provincetown, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Friday, Cape Cod National Seashore, Pilgrim Monument, Provincetown. Discover Provincetown’s history one clue at a time. as you race against time to win grand prize, experience town’s unique treasures and best-kept secrets. Wear comfortable shoes. Meet ranger at Pilgrim Monument parking area. Admission fee charged for Pilgrim Monument from $3.50-$7 depending on group size. $10 parking fee; refunded for stays shorter than two hours. By reservation only. 508-487-1256.
· Keeping Ships Safe, 2 p.m. daily, Cape Cod Canal Visitor Center, 60 Ed Moffitt Drive, Sandwich. Join a park ranger to discover how the waterway is made safe for navigation. 508-833-9678. FREE!
· Organ demonstration, 3:30 p.m. Friday, Church of the Transfiguration, 5 Bay View Drive, Orleans. Demonstration on E.M. Skinner Organ. 508-255-1094. FREE!
· Yoga on the Beach, 7:30-8:45 a.m. Saturday, Cape Cod National Seashore, Coast Guard Beach, Eastham. Meet in parking lot. Reservations required. 508-255-3421. FREE!
· Ice Cream Social with Dolley Madison, 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Falmouth Museums on the Green, 55-65 Palmer Ave. First Lady Dolley Madison will chat with visitors at this family-friendly event. Ice cream, lawn games and history. Donations welcome. 508-548-4857.
· Archery open shoot, 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Cape Cod Bible Alliance Church, 3600 Main St., Brewster. Rain or shine (indoor range available). all equipment provided. 508-896-24553. FREE!
· Australian Animals (The Creature Teachers), live animal programs, 4:30 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, 869 Route 6A, Brewster. Two live animal programs at 4:30 and 7 pm. Kookaburra, wallaby, bearded dragon, blue tongue skink, cockatoo, more. $12, $8 children. Registration required. 508-896-3867.
· Celtic Festival, 7-10 p.m. Saturday, Sandwich High School, 365 Quaker Meetinghouse Road, East Sandwich. Performers include Dave Hickey (contemporary Irish music), Stanley & Grimm (jigs, reels and songs), Carraroe (traditional Irish music), Maureen Haley Step Dancers, Sean Murphy Set Dancers, The Clancy Tradition, special guests Caroline Henry and Mike Connolly, and more. $20, $10 seniors 65 and older, free ages under 5. Tickets: 508-888-5300.
· Taste of Taize – Sacred Chant Singing, 7 p.m. Saturday, John Wesley United Methodist Church, Gifford Street and Jones Road, Falmouth. Sing three- and four-part harmony sacred chants with an experienced Taize leader. No musical experience necessary; songs taught according to level of participants. Donations accepted.
· 100th Anniversary of Consecration of St. Andrew’s by the Sea Church, Sunday, Sunset Hill, off Irving Avenue, Hyannisport. Morning service with Bishop Gayle Harris officiating, 9 a.m. Evensong with St. Andrew’s Choral Group, 5 p.m., followed by reception. 508-728-0888 or 508-778-7163.
· Cape Cod Laughter Yoga – Laughing in the Park, 9:25-10:10 a.m. Monday, Falmouth band shell, Marine Park, 180 Scranton Ave. Bring lawn chair, water bottle, sunscreen. Wear loose, comfortable clothing and hat for sun protection. 800-990-8290. FREE!
· Bee hives open, noon Tuesday, Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, 869 Route 6A, Brewster. Naturalist-guided tour to learn about world of honeybees; visit to outdoor bee hives. Protective headgear provided. Free with admission. 508-896-3867.
· Wiffle Ball Wednesdays, 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Bass River Beach/Smugglers Beach, South Street and South Shore Drive, South Yarmouth. Yarmouth beach parking sticker required. 508-790-2231, ext. 1520. FREE!
· Tapas and Tastes, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday, Highfield Hall 56 Highfield Drive Falmouth. $20. Register at www.highfieldhall.org or call 508-495-1878, ext. 308.
· Wine & Music Wednesdays, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Cotuit Center for the Arts, 4404 Falmouth Road, Cotuit. Open house wine tasting sponsored by Grain and Vine Spirit Shoppe. Live music. $5 at door. 508-428-0669.
· Model Railroad Open House, 7-9 p.m. Wednesday, lower level rear of Hilltop Plaza, 180 Route 6A, Orleans (across from bowling alley). Model trains running on five different layouts built by club members. 508-896-5898. FREE!
· Historical Reenactment: Beach Apparatus Drill, 6-7 p.m. Thursday, old Harbor Life-Saving Station, Cape Cod National Seashore, Provincetown; park at Race Point Beach and take short walk to old Harbor. $5, $2 seniors over 62 and children 7-17, free children 6 and under. 508-487-1256.
· The Poetry Session at O’Shea’s, 7 p.m. Thursday, O’Shea’s Olde Inne, 348 Main St. (Route 28), West Dennis. all ages. Featured reader: Robin Clarke. Arrive before 7 p.m. for open mic sign up. 508-398-5434. FREE!
· “On The 20th Century,” 8 p.m. Aug. 12-13, Highfield Theatre, 58 Highfield Drive Falmouth. Presented by College Light Opera Company. $30. 508-548-0668.
· “Almost, Maine,” 8 p.m. August 12-13, 18-20 and 25-27, Woods Hole Community Hall, 68 Water St. Presented by Hole Theater Company. $15. 508-540-6525.
· “Oklahoma!” 8 p.m. Aug. 16-20 and 2 p.m. Aug. 18, Highfield Theatre, 58 Highfield Drive, Falmouth. Presented by College Light Opera Company. $30. 508-548-0668.
· Black Box Summer Series: “The Further Adventures of a fat Ass Cancer B!#&h,” starring spoken word artist and acclaimed playwright Christine Rathbun, 8 p.m. Aug. 12 and 19, Cotuit Center for the Arts, 4404 Falmouth Road (Route 28). $12. 508-428-0669.
· Black Box Summer Series: “Night Falls on Emerald City,” 8 p.m. Saturdays through Aug. 27, Cotuit Center for the Arts, 4404 Falmouth Road (Route 28). $12. 508-428-0669.
· “The Edwards Twins – Celebrity Musical Impressionists,” 7:30 p.m. Aug. 17, Radisson Hotel, Iyannough Road, Hyannis. $47 dinner and show, $32 show only. 508-790-5347.
· “Crazy for You,” through Aug. 20: 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, 2 p.m. Wednesdays and Aug. 18, and 4 p.m. Aug. 13, Cape Playhouse, Route 6A, Dennis. $79.25, $59.25 and $39.25. 877-385-3911.
· Comedian Ron White, 8 p.m. Aug. 13, Cape Cod Melody Tent, 21 W. Main St., Hyannis. $49.50, $67.50. 800-745-3000.
· “Driving Miss Daisy,” by Alfred Uhrey, 8 p.m. Mondays through Aug. 29, Academy Playhouse, 120 Main St., Orleans. $20. 508-255-1963.
· “Games People Play,” 17th Annual Broadway Musical Dinner Revue, 6:30 p.m. Sundays through Sept. 4, old Sea Pines Inn, Route 6A, Brewster. Additional performances 6:30 p.m. Aug. 15, 22 and 29. $59, includes show, gourmet four-course meal, tax and tip. 508-896-6114.
· Drag star Jackie Beat, 10 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, through Sept. 4, The Art House, 214 Commercial St., Provincetown. www.ptownarthouse.com; 508-487-9222.
· Randy Roberts, live vocal impersonations, 8:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, through Sept. 4, The Art House, 214 Commercial St., Provincetown. www.ptownarthouse.com; 508-487-9222.
· Tom Judson, actor/composer/writer/musician, 9 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, through Sept. 17, The Art House, 214 Commercial St., Provincetown. www.ptownarthouse.com; 508-487-9222.
· “Mama and Her Boys – The Hit Musical,” 8 p.m. Aug. 12; 7 and 9:30 p.m. Aug. 13, 20, 27 and Sept. 3; 8:30 p.m. Aug. 23, 25 and 31; 9:30 p.m. Sept. 4, Counter Productions Studio, Whalers Wharf, 237 Commercial St. $15-$24. 508-413-1000.
· “Grease,” 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays, through Aug. 20, Academy Playhouse, 120 Main St., Orleans. $22. 508-255-1963.
· “Jesus Christ Superstar,” 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14-15, Provincetown Counter Productions Studio, 237 Commercial St., Whalers Wharf. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s classic rock opera. $22-24. 508-413-1000.
· “The Winter’s tale,” by William Shakespeare, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 12-13, Payomet Performing Arts Center, 29 old Dewline Road, North Truro. $26-$35, $5 discount for students, teachers, union members and Outer Cape residents; 50 percent student rush tickets one hour prior to show at box office only. www.payomet.org. 866-811-4111.
· “Xanadu,” musical comedy, 8 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, through Aug. 27, Cape Rep Theater, Route 6A, Brewster. $30. 508-896-1888.
· “I Remember Mama,” 8 p.m. Aug. 12-13, The Monomoy Theatre 776 Main St., Chatham. Family story by John Van Druten. $28, $23 matinee. 508-945-1589.
· “always Patsy Cline,” 8 p.m. Aug. 12-13, 19-20 26-27 and Sept. 2-4, Harwich Junior Theatre, 105 Division St., West Harwich. $25, $15 ages under 21. 508-432-2002.
· Staged reading of Tony Kushner’s adaptation of “The Dubbuk,” 5 p.m. Aug. 14, Payomet Performing Arts Center, 29 old Dewline Road, North Truro. $12. 508-487-5400.
· Sholem Aleichem: Laughing in the Darkness,” 7 p.m. Aug. 13, Wellfleet Preservation Hall, 335 Main St. Presented by Payomet Performing Arts Center. $12. 508-487-5400.
· Comic Michele Balan, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 15, Payomet Performing Arts Center, 29 old Dewline Road, North Truro. $20, includes meet and greet. 508-487-5400.
· “Hopper’s Ghosts,” comedy by Kevin Rice, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, Aug. 18-28, Payomet Performing Arts Center, 29 old Dewline Road, North Truro. $26-$35. Discounts at door for seniors, students, teachers, union members and artists. Fifty-percent student rush tickets one hour prior to show. 508-487-5400.
· “Born Yesterday,” classic comedy by Garson Kanin, 8 p.m. Aug. 16-20 and 2 p.m. Aug. 18, Monomoy Theatre, 776 Main St, Chatham. $28, $23 matinee. 508 945-1589.
· “Airborne Comedians,” starring Dan Foley and Joel Harris, 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 12, Cape Playhouse, Route 6A, Dennis Village. Post show activities include meet-and-greet with performer. $11. 508-385-3911 or 877-385-3911.
· “Alice in Wonderland, a Musical Curiosity,” 5:30 p.m. Fridays through Sundays, through Sept. 4 (except Aug. 19-21), The Madeira Room at Vixen, 336 Commercial St., Provincetown. Presented by The Pee Wee Players. $12. 508-487-6424.
· Trevor the Juggler, 10 a.m. Fridays and Mondays, through Aug. 27, Brewster Baptist Church, 1848 Main St. $7.50 at door. 508-896-5577.
· “Alice in Wonderland,” 10 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, through Sept. 3, Academy Playhouse, 120 Main St., Orleans. $10. 508-255-1963.
· “It’s Magic,” featuring The amazing Richard and co., 7 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays, through Aug. 29, Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, 819 Main St. (Route 28), Chatham. $10. 617-354-3005.
· Pitter Patter Puppets, 10 a.m. Tuesdays through Aug. 30, Cape Rep’s Outdoor Theatre, Route 6A, Brewster. Rain or shine. $8. 508-896-1888.
· “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse,” 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Aug. 25, Harwich Junior Theatre, 105 Division St., West Harwich. $12. 508-432-2002.
· “Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type: a Musical,” 10 a.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, through Sept. 1, Cape Rep’s Outdoor Theatre, Route 6A, Brewster. Rain or shine. $10. 508-896-1888.
· “Perseus and Medusa,” by Tanglewood Marionettes, 10 a.m. Aug. 16, Baptist Church, 1848 Main St. (Route 6A). $7.50 at door. 508-896-5577.
· “The Dragon King,” by Tanglewood Marionettes, 10 a.m. Aug. 17, Baptist Church, 1848 Main St. (Route 6A). $7.50 at door. 508-896-5577.
· “Sleeping Beauty,” 11 a.m. Aug. 17, Cape Cod Melody Tent, 21 W. Main St. $8.50, $10.50 day of show. 800-745-3000.
· “Sleeping Beauty,” by Tanglewood Marionettes, 10 a.m. Aug. 18, Baptist Church, 1848 Main St. (Route 6A). $7.50 at door. 508-896-5577.
· “Professor Winklebottom Returns,” starring Grand Falloons, 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 11, Cape Playhouse, Route 6A, Dennis Village. Post show activities include meet-and-greet with performer. $11. 508-385-3911 or 877-385-3911.
Ads by Google
<a href="http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110811/ENTERTAIN/110819989/-1/ENTERTAINtag:news.google.com,2005:cluster=http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110811/ENTERTAIN/110819989/-1/ENTERTAINFri, 12 Aug 2011 19:27:24 GMT 00:00″>Things to do for August 12-18